PHASTAR is a multiple award-winning, data focused CRO specialising in providing statistics, programming, data management and data science. We work with large and small pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies, providing expert consultancy, in-house projects, FSP-style arrangements and preferred partnerships.
In 2019, PHASTAR won the prestigious Queen’s Award for Enterprise, following our impressive growth from a one-person operation to a global CRO within a decade. With 12 offices across the UK, US, Germany, Kenya, Australia and Japan, PHASTAR is the second largest specialised biometrics provider globally, and the largest in the UK. In 2021, we will continue to grow further, with two new offices set to open in China and India.
Our unique approach to data analysis, “The PHASTAR Discipline”, has led us to build a reputation for outstanding quality. With this as our core focus, we’re looking for a chief commercial officer who shares our passion for quality, technical expertise and customer service to join our senior management team.
The Commercial Team
The commercial team reports to PHASTAR’s CEO, Kevin Kane, who founded the company in 2007. Kevin started his statistical career in 1990 with Amgen. After three years, he moved to Wellcome and stayed within the GSK family of companies for a number of years.
Having held a variety of positions, including project statistician and technical support, Kevin has a broad oversight of the clinical trial process. He is a Chartered Statistician and former board member for PSI and remains actively involved in providing statistical support.
The commercial group incorporates PHASTAR’s global business development, marketing and contracts and proposals teams, led by our director of sales and marketing based in the UK. The team is responsible for sharing PHASTAR’s 4,000 years accumulated technical expertise with trial sponsors, and for highlighting how PHASTAR provides customers with the best statistical advice, that the clinical data is analysed optimally, and that we get it right first time, every time.
The role of chief commercial officer determines and implements the sales and marketing strategy to drive business growth globally. You will organise and manage the global business development team as well as all marketing activity, and be the liaison between board, operations and sales, with the overall objective of achieving or exceeding annual profit targets.
As a member of PHASTAR’s senior management team, you will drive and execute the commercial strategy in line with the company’s 5-year plan. The role will enjoy significant levels of autonomy as well as client, staff, commercial and financial management responsibilities. Utilising your commercial expertise, you will monitor the market and propose to the board new/innovative or modified business lines, products or partnerships that will ensure the continued growth of the company.
As CCO, you will continuously increase brand awareness for PHASTAR globally. You will ensure the services offered by PHASTAR match the demand within the marketplace and will anticipate changes in market demand.
Chief Commercial Officer
- Take ownership of the overall sales and marketing strategy – ensuring the strategy is clear and that it will deliver on key company growth targets
- Ensure the translation of the sales & marketing strategy into business targets, budgets and tangible plan
- Accountability for achieving these targets within budget
- Manage the commercial group while being heavily involved in the motivation, drive and development of new talent within the organisation
- Build long term relationship with key accounts through Account Managers
- Oversee, contribute to and ensure optimal public relations activity and brand awareness
- Present sales update to the board
- Liaise with senior directors to ensure continued customer satisfaction
- Liaise with principal stakeholders to complete successful and innovative solutions for customers
- Support the selection of strategic suppliers and in the negotiation of their contracts
- Review final proposal documents and contribute to the definition of standard contract templates
- Work closely with the CEO and CFO to provide financial and revenue support
- Extensive experience in global business development within the pharmaceutical CRO industry
- Substantial management experience in business development
- Commercially aware with great customer service skills
- Proven ability to manage, develop and support commercial teams
- An in-depth understanding of marketing with the ability to ensure a marketing team delivers eye-catching content based around agreed company messaging
- Ability to ensure metrics are recorded well (e.g. ensuring the team fully utilises the CRM) and can present these metrics to the board and management team
- Proven experience in selling, negotiating and finding solutions to problems
- Well presented and able to represent the company independently; comfortable to deliver customer sales presentations
- Excellent management, leadership and organisation skills
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written English) with a keen attention to detail
This is an exciting opportunity for a commercially astute, forward-thinking chief commercial officer to join an award-winning global CRO that is renowned for its technical expertise, outstanding quality and exceptional customer service. With PHASTAR hosting regular life science summits and webinars that attract audiences from around the world, you will be working as part of a team that has gained industry-wide respect for the work that it delivers and the knowledge that the team brings to the clinical trials environment.
In 2020, PHASTAR gained the Best Companies accreditation for our commitment to employee engagement and workplace satisfaction. We provide structured training and development opportunities and continually make enhancements to ensure PHASTAR remains the best company to work for based on feedback from our employees.
In addition to professional growth, PHASTAR is committed to ensuring the well-being of all its employees. We have a strong internal support network in place, an environment that is fun, friendly and relaxed, an industry-leading salary and benefits package, and flexible working arrangements, to ensure that all colleagues achieve a healthy work-life balance.